In 1935, Nashville Mayor Hillary Howse appointed a citizen committee to select a site for Nashville’s first commercial airport. After much deliberation, an area spanning 340 acres along the Dixie Highway (known as Murfreesboro Road), was eventually chosen. Selected to design the administration building, the assembly building and the municipal hangar for the 105 Aero Squadron, was HFR founder, Russell Hart. On Nov. 1, 1936, Berry Field was named in honor of Colonel Harry S. Berry, state administrator of the works progress administration. The new airport officially opened in June 1937. In 1941, Hart designed a new control tower for the airport.